Hiring a Cleaning Service
If you believe that a cleaning service is completely out of your price range, you're probably wrong. For one thing, you don't have to use it every week, or even every month. And if it's important enough to you, you won't mind cutting back on other things.
Below are some tips on how to hire the right service for you.
1. Ask friends, coworkers and neighbors for recommendations. Be sure to ask about the particulars like how much does their service cost and how often do they have the service in to clean.
2. Make a list of the things you'd like a service to do: clean baseboards, clean windows, load/unload dishwasher, polish hardwood flooring, etc. That way you can get a clear idea of pricing based upon your individual needs.
3. Be sure to interview each service provider, even if you got references.
How long have you been in business?
Are you insured and bonded?
What services do you provide?
Can you customize the service based on my needs
Do you offer a free estimate?
If I need to cancel, how far in advance do I need to call to avoid a penalty?
Do you take checks and/or credit cards?
Do you guarantee your work?
Will the same people be cleaning my home each week?
Do I need to be home when you clean?
Can I get a list of references?
Do you supply cleaning products? Are natural products an option?
4. With most services, the first few cleanings will be more expensive than subsequent cleanings. This is because most services do a deep cleaning or two from top to bottom to start and then after that, cleanings will be more maintenance cleanings.
5. Chances are good that having someone else do the heavy cleaning will be incentive enough to keep the place looking neat and uncluttered between times.
6. If you're going to hire a service, don't clean before they come. You're defeating the purpose. Yes, keep things tidy and picked up, but don't clean the sinks and tubs!
7. Don't expect your housecleaner to read your mind about how you want things done and where you want things put away. Spell it all out. Make a list with pertinent details about how your want things. It will make their job easier.
8. Even though you're paying for the service, you should give tips to the individual cleaners because they don't get every cent you pay. Be sure to give praise and compliments, when warranted.